Archery is one of the safest sports for both children and adults.
Waverley City Archers always focuses on safety. All students, members, visitors and competitors must adhere to both club and governing body rules and safety protocols.
- All WCA coaches are trained by and accredited with Archery Australia, hold a current Working With Children Check, and have undertaken VicSport Child Safety Training. Many of our coaches are also First Aid Level 2 qualified.
- Students are supervised AT ALL TIMES when participating in a Come & Try Session or Beginners Course.
- Children must be 10 years of age or over to participate.
- Children under the age of 16 years must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- No running or horseplay is allowed on the range.
- Any dangerous activity or behaviour will be stopped immediately and the offender/s given a warning about their conduct (repeat offenders may be asked to leave the club grounds).
- If any incident occurs on the range, including the presence of a person or animal on the field, shooting will be stopped immediately until it is safe to resume.
- Council instructions in multi-lingual signage must be followed.
- Red flags must be displayed on the range before shooting.
- Archers must only draw their bow when aiming at their target and must only start shooting when instructed to do so (see below).
- No shooting by the general public, unless under supervision of a club coach, a member of Archery Australia or a nationally recognised archery body.
- New, return or transferring members will be assessed by a WCA coach before being allowed to shoot.
THE WHISTLE SYSTEM
TWO (2) WHISTLES: Archers can move from the waiting line to the shooting line and prepare their stance for shooting.
ONE (1) WHISTLE: Archers can raise their bows, nock their arrows and begin shooting.
THREE (3) WHISTLES: The range is safe for archers to cross the shooting line and retrieve arrows from targets.
FOUR OR MORE (4+) WHISTLES: Safety protocols have been breached and archers must stop shooting immediately. Do not fire any more arrows. Return drawn arrows to quivers and move back from the shooting line.
© 2023 Waverley City Archers Inc.